How to treat kennel cough in dogs? Quick, Effective Ways to treat dog kennel cough
What is Kennel Cough in dogs?
We just heard that some downtown Vancouver dogs recently got kennel cough. As a result, we thought it would be helpful to share some information on how to treat kennel cough in dogs.
Kennel Cough is essentially the human equivalent of a chest cold. It can resolve itself without treatment although the hacking cough can sound terrible. Some dogs may sneeze or have a discharge. There are various causes of kennel cough with the most common being the Bordetella bacteria. Although your dog may be vaccinated for Bordetella, it may still get kennel cough. This is because there is a wide variety of bacteria and virus that can cause it. Most dogs that get the kennel cough may already be fighting a viral infection.
Should I get the Bordetella vaccine for my dog?
We generally prefer less drug intervention if it can be avoided especially because Bordetella vaccine does not guarantee full protection. This is however, a judgment call that every owner will have to make.
Bordetella is not one of the Core Vaccines, we’ve talked about in the past and in addition, there may be side effects. An active infection may not be helped by getting the vaccine. Looking at the results of Dr. Schultz study on how long each of the canine vaccines last, you will see that Bordetella is good for about 9 months.
So why do most dog daycares require Bordetella before they take your dog? Simple. To limit their liability. The Bordetella vaccine still does not prevent your dog from getting kennel cough if it is from a different strain of bacteria or virus.
How to treat Kennel Cough in dogs at home effectively and simply
If your dog is showing signs of hacking cough:
- Isolate your dog since it is highly contagious. Kennel cough spreads very easily in close contact situations with other
- We like using oregano oil (also known as oil of oregano) as it has anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-viral properties.
- Can you use oregano oil for your dog? The answer is yes BUT we recommend you dilute it with coconut oil to make it taste less harsh or burn your pet. You could use it in either of the following ways:
- Add one to two drops of oregano oil to 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to increase the treatment from both oils. The coconut oil makes the oregano oil taste less harsh for treating kennel cough in your dog.
- Add one to two drops of oregano oil to raw honey as this will also dilute the oregano oil and soothe your dog’s throat.
- We’ve had doggy customers who’ve recovered in about two weeks using this treatment.
- Alternatively, this herbal remedy in store will cure your dog. It is called NaturPet Lung Care (formerly Healthy Lungs) and is an oral remedy with active and preventative ingredients for respiratory conditions. Naturpet Lung Care helps clear your pet’s lungs and controls dry coughing.If your dog is still not recovering after two to three weeks, it is time to see a vet!
Please comment to let us know if any of the steps above worked in treating your dog’s kennel cough.